Hello to our new families and welcome back to those returning! I am very excited to start the school year!
George Long Elementary is a Leader in Me School where students are taught and practice the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. The Leader in Me program empowers young people to make positive, effective, and responsible choices by introducing and reinforcing the 7 Habits, a set of leadership and life skills from Stephen Covey's book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. These habits are:
1. Be Proactive - take responsibility and initiative.
2. Begin With the End In Mind - plan and set goals.
3. Put First Things First - set priorities and practice discipline.
4. Think Win-Win - consider others and seek alternatives to conflict.
5. Seek First To Understand, Then To Be Understood - listen to others, learn from their views.
6. Synergize - value others' strengths and team with others to solve problems.
7. Sharpen The Saw - taking care of the self, learning, and finding meaning outside of school.
When taught and practiced in a K-5 school environment, these 7 Habits have been proven to improve academic engagement, comprehension, and performance by strengthening individual work habits and improving social interactions. They help improve student performance and support school success by helping to foster the qualities of independence (goal-setting, organization, time management, and planning); interdependence (teamwork, conflict management, creativity, and analytical skills); and renewal (fun, desire to learn, and good health & hygiene).